Japanese import car registration: MOT & IVA test

Applying for a Japanese import car registration number in the UK

Picture of the front cover of a Japanese import car registration document from the DVLABefore applying for a Japanese import car registration number, the DVLA (UK registration authority) require you to submit the car for some sort of test.  Despite being in better condition than many of the cars on the road in the UK, Japanese import cars are no exception.

There are 2 tests: MOT and IVA.  Well actually there are more than this, but these are the two key tests we need to consider.


Picture of MOT test certificates - Jap imports are not always MOT failuresThis stands for Ministry of Transport, referring to the government department that first introduced the test in 1960.  There is nothing different about the MOT test for an imported car:  it is the same test as required for every vehicle over 3 years old that is used on the road.  General condition, brakes, tyres, suspension, lights, safety equipment and exhaust emissions are tested.  The test costs (up to) £55 and is all that cars over 10 years old need before being registered.  Be wary of super cheap MOTs – the garage in question may be planning on making some money back from you in doing essential work for your vehicle to pass the test.

Note that the 10 years old stipulation isn’t done in whole years or even months, so the car only needs to be 10 years and 1 day old to meet this requirement.

The one thing on which almost all Japanese import cars will fail the MOT is the lack of a rear fog light.  This will need to be fitted before the test (there only needs to be one) and I’m going to write some instructions on how to do this in a future post and will add the link here when I’ve done so.

You may read that the speedometer must be converted from km to miles for the test.  This isn’t true – I’ve written more on speedometer and odometer conversion here.


This stands for individual vehicle approval and is a test required in addition to the MOT for imported vehicles under 10 years old at the time of registration.

Think of it as a super MOT or MOT plus.

The test costs £199.

I’m not going to go into detail on the whole test.  Please don’t think of me as lazy – the official DVSA inspection manual is 300 pages long!

In my view, a car imported from Japan is most likely to fail the test on the following areas:

  • Exterior projections.  This will mostly apply to modified cars.  Common examples would be: rear wings wider than the body of the car and wheels wider than their arches.
  • Fog light.  I mentioned above that almost all cars imported from Japan will need a rear red fog light fitting to pass the MOT.  Obviously the same is true for the IVA.  More care needs to be taken with fog light placement and aim.
  • Headlights.  Some headlights won’t have the necessary markings or washers to meet EU regulations.
  • Speedometer.  Needs to read in miles per hour and will be checked for accuracy.  Japanese imports generally have speed and distance measured in km only.
  • General construction.  As with exterior projections, I think it will be the modified Japanese import that will risk falling foul of this section.  Poor quality modifications involving cables/hoses that aren’t secured properly and safely, will require attention before the test.
  • Emissions.  Again this will likely only apply to tuned/modified vehicles.  The car exhaust is tested for carbon monoxide, hydrocarbons and air:fuel ratio.  Most cars will be fine but some heavily modified cars might need a few tweaks to pass.


Picture of an example DVLA V948 japanese import car registration number authorisation certificateNow you have a better idea of why I’m always going on about importing cars over 10 years old.  The registration process is cheaper and simpler.

But please don’t let this put you off wanting a younger car – the IVA test isn’t something to be feared, it’s just a slightly higher and more expensive hoop to jump through.  Remember it is designed to cover all possibilities on a huge range of vehicles:  I’m thinking of botched self-built / kit cars here in particular.


  1. Hi, just bought a japanese import and was told the v5 is not yet available and will be mailed to me by dvla. Does this makes sense. Stumbled on this page while trying to figure this out. After mot, and getting plates, would the car has also been registered and have v5 already? So I was not able to tax the car immediately under my name. Also they only gave me one set of keys, any documents that could verify the car came from japan with only one set of keys? The car reg is shown to be taxed for 6 months and mot history also available online at dvla. All very recent. Thanks.

    • Hi Nick,

      Thank you for your questions. If I’ve understood things correctly you’ve bought a car from a UK dealer, who imported the car from Japan.

      If the car has number plates, it has been registered with the DVLA and a V5 will have been issued to whoever applied to register it when this happened. When you are being told the V5 is not yet available, it sounds like this means the new V5 with your name on is not yet available? If the dealer who sold the car has made you the new registered keeper it is indeed the case that the new V5 will be posted to you by the DVLA. This usually takes a couple of weeks but I think they advise to allow longer before contacting them.

      If the registration number is showing as taxed, it is possible that the dealer has taxed the car for 6 months in your name. Is this shown on the purchase invoice or is there any indication on the invoice that this has been included in the price?

      It would be very difficult to prove how many sets of keys the car came with from Japan. It is entirely possible that it came with only one key. Of the cars I’ve imported, it has been about a 50:50 split so far, of cars coming with one key and with 2 or more keys.

      I hope this helps and that everything is in order with your new car.


  2. HI

    I have a 2002 BMW 330ci I am looking to import to UK from NZ will I need to do the iva test?


  3. I have a 1993 Nissan Silvia which is due it’s first MOT since my ownership. My enquiry is, as it is a Japanese Import only model, and is before 1994, does this still need to have a catalytic converter in order to pass MOT emissions?

    Many people who I know and also own Japanese imports say that before ’94 doesn’t need a cat to pass emissions and that my car, being stock power still, should be fine with passing.


    • Hi Sam

      I recommend having a look at the MOT testing manual before going along to the test. Here it is. Have a look at section 7.3.

      My understanding is that your car will be required to take the basic emissions test. If it doesn’t pass this, they won’t be able to find exact specifications against which to test it, so it will be required to be under the fairly relaxed limits of <= 3.5 % CO (carbon monoxide) and <= 1200 ppm HC (parts per million hydrocarbons). Do you have a print out of the emissions test results from the last MOT (it must have had one when it was imported and registered)? This will give you an idea of how close it was then. It is difficult to know for certain whether it will need a catalytic converter to pass but I doubt it, these are fairly relaxed limits. I'd be interested to hear how you get on with your MOT. Cheers Andrew

  4. Hello,
    I currently have a Honda Civic 2006 which I imported from Japan. However, I currently sent its documents to register, which asked us to include emissions so we did but now the dvla is asking us for a prof which proves the emissions of the car. Please can you tell me what can I give to prove its emissions?

    • Hi Tasnem

      Which month was your car first registered in Japan? If the car is over 10 years old then you don’t need to concern yourself too much with the emissions, other than getting through a standard MOT test. You don’t need to complete every box on the registration application form! If it is under 10 years old, have you taken it for the IVA test yet?


      • Hi

        I’m thinking of importing a Volvo T5 2014. At the time of importing, it will be less than 10 years old.

        Given it’s a EU manufactured car, I assume it would have Certificate of Compliance for EU also …

        Would IVA in this car be a simple case of changing the electronic odometer to read in Mph (just a setting I hear)? Car already has fog lights…

        Any other likely issues you are aware of please

  5. Hi bought a Polish register car Toyota Avensis 2015 what do I need to do to have it registered

    • Hi Hadi

      This isn’t my area of expertise but there is plenty of guidance on the gov.uk website. You will need to start by getting vehicle approval.


  6. hi
    im the service manager at a company called campers scotland. we mainly import nissan elgrand and toyota alphard ,i was hopeing you could give me some advise , the later elgrands are fitted with hid head lights ,unfortunatly they are not self leveling and have no washers,so can not get through an iva test , do you know of a way around this ? thanks

    • Hi Mark

      I haven’t submitted an Elgrand for an IVA test yet. However from what I’ve read and heard, I would try to fit some standard halogen bulbs for the test and put the HIDs back afterwards. I don’t know how much modification this would require to the bulb or wiring, but obviously you’d need to make sure the ballasts were safe.


  7. Andrew do you know much about the new car tax rules and how they will affect cars from Japan.It looks like there will be huge car tax implications for some of the higher cc cars making then unviable to import?
    Thanks Dean

    • Hi Dean

      Thanks for your enquiry. I spoke with the DVLA recently about the new tax rules from 1st April 2017. I was advised that they only apply to brand new cars registered after 1/4/2017. As such they would not apply to used imported vehicles, which would continue to be taxed at the old rates.

      Hope this helps!

  8. Hi Andrew,

    I am planning to immigrate to uk and ship my car (Toyota Previa 2.4 2010 automatic) from Hong Kong. I need help to do all the things from the car landed to the car can be used on the road, do you provide any services could help?

    Thank you very much.

    • Hi

      I can recommend a customs agent if that would help? Sorry I don’t offer an IVA preparation service, which will be the main thing you need to get your car registered in the UK.

      Best wishes for the move

  9. Hello Andrew, I have a Hiace MK5 Toyota van that’s now 12 years old and was bought as a replacement for my now 20+ year old Hiace MK3 (now showing its age) currently being used to carry ladders and aerials in line with my business, My concerns are; should I be stopped for a roadside check by VOSA in the MK5 will I fall foul of axle weights (front & rear) because these models were never plated with anything other than a GVW (2800 kilo’s) marker. I understand imports over 10 years old are exempt from the IVA test but was never able to establish why, even after contacting VOSA direct. Clearly the vehicle is registered, taxed and being used on the road (in the main) unladen. It was my intention to approach VOSA at the CV Show at the NEC direct but they have not been at the last two events. Naturally I would prefer to remain within the law from every aspect but this remains one area where the rules are very vague. Perhaps you would be good enough to offer some kind of support/guidance?

    • This is a difficult one! When I contacted VOSA previously to ask about towing weights on imported vehicles I was advised that in the absence of any other information on the chassis plate, they would go on the GVW.

      So I would have thought that if you were stopped in your Mk 5 Hiace for a weight check, they would go on the GVW as you say. I’m not aware of any additional specifications from Japan that you could use to support your case.

      You’re probably aware of the existence of public weigh bridges, so I’d get your van weighed empty (but full of fuel and with you in it), then you’ll be able to work out whether the weight of your ladders and equipment would put you over the GVW.

      If you do contact VOSA I’d love to know their response. How ever you contact them I would strongly recommend all communication is written down or recorded in case you need to rely on it later!


  10. Hello I have imported a vehicle 2012 vellfire 7 seater from Japan and it’s arriving in second week of August I was wondering if you can help me by telling me who will do the speedo meter change conversion into miles and iva test at the same time. I’m based in southall Middlesex.
    Also how do they convert the meter? I’ve heard of several ways to do this and I wanted it done properly.

    • Hi Surinder

      Apologies I don’t know of anyone in the South East who does this type of conversion work. I’m based in the Midlands so haven’t really needed to work with any companies in your area. I will update this response if I subsequently hear of someone reliable who could do the work for you.

      I’d have thought most places would use an electronic CANBUS converter for this vehicle.


  11. Hi I’m looking at buying a 1986 mini from Japan what will I need to do when it lands at this end thankyou

    • Hi Jon-Paul

      Aside from paying a good chunk of tax, you’ll need to get an MOT (which may require fitting a rear fog light) and then apply to the DVLA to register the car.


  12. Hi, I recently bought a toyota estima hybrid import from a private dealer, with no uk paperwork. Unfortunately when I received the log book, it doesn’t have anything relevant to the vehicle on it apart from make and engine size. I’m more concerned regarding the CO2 emissions. I rang DVLA and they said to get the emissions put on letterheaded paper from any garage and they would amend it. Do you you know of anyone who does emissions testing. Many Thanks

    • Hi Mohammad

      I don’t know of anyone who does emissions testing. Why do you want the CO2 figure? Is it for a lower vehicle tax rate?


  13. Hi Andrew.
    I bought a Japanese Toyota estima 2015 from uk dealer I want Co2 emissions data of the car for PCO purposes. They don’t accept mot. I hear about new mot testing from January and new software is coming but I need it urgently. What do you suggest. Do I have to carry out fuel consumption and co2 emissions test if so where can I do that. Or can you please help in this regard.

    • Depending on which Estima you’ve got, there may be a model report for noise and emissions for your car. I would ask the PCO if they would accept the information on the model report. If they would, you may be able to rent the model report and send/show it to them so they can get the emissions information.

      It would be great if you could let me know how you get on.


  14. Hi
    I have toyota land cruiser FJ40 1980 in Indonesia, gasoline engine, 4200cc, 6 cylinders. The vehicle was bought new from Toyota Dealer in 1980 by my father. Around 1980 safety regulation was not tight in Indonesia, so there were no seatbelts, anti theft, also no air conditioner, no tape / radio.. maybe for the economic price reason..Seat belt and airconditioner had become optional parts at that time. No heater of course since Indonesia has no winter season..No catalytic converter, I have not ever heard if FJ40 ever came with catalytic converter.. No rear and front fog lamps.. Front fog light came with the diesel type engine ( BJ40). It is installed at the front bumper. Since FJ 40 and BJ40 has the same outward look(except exhaustion pipe goes to the right hand side for FJ40 and left hand side for the BJ40), means they have also same front bumper,the front fog lamps can be installed easily if needed..

    Headlight was replaced several years ago still with Toyota original equipment manufacturer (OEM) parts, they are fully sealed beam, means once ot doesn’t work anymore, we have to replace the whole thing, not only the bulb like newer cars..

    No modification has ever been made except repainted with same colour in 1990, because of the rust.., and a pair of seat belt was installed for front seats..also air conditioner and radio tape were installed.. If I must replace parts like oil filter, fuel filter, even radiator, I always replaced with the OEM/ original Toyota part based on the FJ40’s catalogue.. They still can be obtained in Indonesia.. All spare parts are imported from Japan, I always buy them at official Toyota dealer in Indonesia.

    Planning to study master&PhD program in UK, I am thinking if I want to import that car to UK, is it possible? What kind of test must I undergo? IVA is not necessary for 40 years old car, isn’t it? What kind of UK modification ( if needed) should I do?

    Thank you

    • Hi Bened

      Sounds like a great car! You’ve clearly got a lot of ‘history’ with it so I can understand why you’d want to bring it with you.

      You wouldn’t need an IVA test, but it would need to pass an MOT.

      The full MOT testing manual and regulations can be found here

      Please have a good read of this yourself. My understanding is that your Land Cruiser would need front seat belts. You mentioned rust, so also have a look at the regulations on that, because your car might need some welding if there is rust in one of the prescribed areas.

      A lot of imported cars also need a red rear fog light, so it sounds like you’ll need to do this.

      Apart from that, just have a good check of your suspension bushings, brake discs and pads and handbrake efficiency as these are a fairly common MOT failure point on older cars.

      Best of luck with your studies!

      • Thanks for the reply, Andrew

        Brakes are still in original style , using the drum brakes for front and rear.. There are so many versions about this, but as long as I know I never found Indonesian FJ40 with disc brake, except it has been modified. Disc brake for FJ40 are sold here, Japanese version and USA version have used Disc brake for 1980 FJ40. But I love original style, so I still use disc brake until now.

        Parking brake also use Drum, so when we apply parking brake , the car still can be pushed forward and backward not more than 5cm ( around 2 inches)away.. Again, it is the original part from Toyota..

        Seat belt have been installed now for front seat..

        Rust, I definitely will repair this..

        Suspension are still original Toyota style, 7 leaf springs for each left and right front side, 6 leaf springs for each left and right rear side.. And so are the shock absorbers , 4 of them still in original Toyota style ( I had replaced several years ago with original Toyota part )

        Anyway, after pass the MOT, what is next? Get the UK license plate number? But certainly I do have to get UK driving license first to be able to drive, don’t I?

        Do you have any idea how much does it cost to ship from Indonesia to UK?

  15. Hi andrew, thanks for the information yoi have been providing and helping people with thwir issues .
    Andrew, can you recommend a reasonable priced /cheaper iva test location in birmingham ?

    • The government sets the fees so I think the test fee will be the same wherever you go. It is £199 at the moment. Kidderminster is the nearest DVSA test centre.

  16. Is there anything stopping a vehicle from being tested even if it’s modified?

    • Not really – depends on how it has been modified and how well the modifications have been done. Do you have any particular modifications in mind? Always worthwhile having a read through the testing manual before presenting your vehicle for the test.

  17. Hi
    Wonder if you can help I recently brought a r34 skyline from a bloke who had imported it over.. I have docs but only copies ( not originals) I.e export certificates,proof of purchase, shipping and Hmrc clearance but I’m struggling to get it registered with dvla.. I have had an owners club letter with everything that required on it but still a refusal I am now struggling on what to do is there anyway someone could point me in the right direction please! My car also has mot
    Many thanks

    • Hi Becky

      You don’t mention why the DVLA are refusing to register the vehicle – it would be really interesting to know that, but I’m guessing it is because they want the original export certificate. I am concerned that the seller didn’t give you the original export certificate. Anyway, you can get replacement export certificates from companies like JEVIC Hopefully this holds the key to getting the vehicle registered.


      • Hi andrew,
        I brought toyota alphard hybrid 2005 from japan i paid duty and vat to hmrc. As i spoken to dvla they said i do not need iva test for over 10 years old car and i only need to fill v55/5 form to get registered. When i check v55/5 form there is couple questions which i don’t no the answer. There is any advice to get strees free. And do i have to get mot first or register my car first?
        Please advice me briefly to get job done quickest way.

  18. Hi I’m just in the process of purchasing a Japanese import it was used on track however it has a valid MOT
    but no number plates what will I need to do to get plates an what are the hidden costs the car is in the uk has been for a few years any info would be very much appreciated

    • When you say no plates I’m assuming that means it isn’t registered in the UK? If so, you’ll need to register it and the costs will depend on whether it comes with any other paperwork (e.g. export certificate). The DVLA registration fee is £55. Was VAT and import duty paid when the car arrived? I hope so, otherwise you’ll need to pay this too before registering it.

  19. my car is under 10 year old and it from Japan. It Toyota sineta . I need to change meter and tyres plz tell me my car is going for iva next week.

    • You may not need to change the tyres, depends on what type they are and their condition. You’ll definitely need to have a speedometer reading in MPH. There are a number of ways to achieve this, have a look at this post for more information.


  20. Are all imported cars registered on a q plate if they are slightly damaged.. someone I know brought a car from Australia UK spec car which was damaged..DVLA had put it in a q plate

    • Hi Atif

      Interesting question, but no I don’t think so.

      From the DVLA website “DVLA issues ‘Q’ registration numbers to vehicles whose age or identity is in doubt.”

      Perhaps it wasn’t the damage that earned that car a Q plate.


  21. Thanks for all the info and advice above & below.
    Not a question but some problems I thought I had … but were resolved.
    I bought a freshly imported Mazda
    I tried to tax it online but it said “MOT test certificate could not be found”
    …. Everything I could find online said I could tax it at at a Post Office for a £25 fee with my ‘new keeper’ slip & MOT certificate.
    But I didn’t have the MOT(the dealer has sent it off somewhere (-DVSA?)or a copy.
    (ok, & begrudged paying an extra £25)
    I couldn’t find anything online to say if a copy might be ok.
    I went to the PO to ask.
    >>> I didn’t need the MOT certificate
    >>> I didn’t need the £25 fee because I’d purchased the vehicle within the last two months.
    They scanned the bar code from the V5C & I filled in a form (v62) – NB one of the boxes said I should have waited 5 weeks before completing the form but the PO wasn’t bothered.

    • Hi Richard

      No problem, and thanks for sharing your experience – I’m sure others will benefit from it.


  22. Hi. Once you own a grey import say Nissan legend do you just get it mot as normal .thanks

    • Hi Graham, yes the IVA is a once only thing, so it’s just the annual MOT after that.

  23. Hi

    You never mentioned about Japanese tyres…do I have to change them before I go for MOT in UK?
    Are they European standard tyres?

    Thank you

    • Hi, I’ve already replied to you by email but for the benefit of everyone else – Yes, I’ve had loads of MOT passes with Japanese tyres. The main problem I’ve had is perished, cracked tyres due to being out in strong sunlight, but no problems with them being Japanese.


  24. Hi. I’ve seen a couple of Japanese imports on newer plates. 2002 on. 2012 reg, and a 2005 plate on a Bongo. They’re weren’t made then. How is this possible? Are they legally registered?

    • Hi Bob

      Bongos were made until 2005 so that would explain that one. I can’t see how a 2002 vehicle would be allocated a 2012 reg. Even if it was a private plate, I don’t think the DVLA allow plates to be allocated to cars to make them look newer than they are.

      Out of interest, what was the first part of the registration number and which vehicle was it on?


  25. Hi Andrew.
    We’ve have bought an 1997 Acty van, street, full time 4WD, I’m getting confused, does it need an IVA test pls

  26. Hi. I brought a Nissan elgrand from Japan and the question is whether I should do an IVA test or just an MOT test for the VIN number ?
    Thanks !!!

  27. Hi I’m in Birmingham you have any idea were I can do japanis import car
    MOT AND VIA TEST let me know please.

  28. Hi, great articles.
    How long after passing the MOT and applying for a V5 does it take to get the V5 document?

    • Hi, thanks for the feedback!

      As I write this the DVLA are currently processing vehicle registration applications received on 17th June 2021.


  29. V55 registration, may I ask I had MOT and is over 10yesrs old car, can I apply v55 without insurance? Cos most insurance company need number plate and get insurance. Many thanks

  30. i imported a toyota prius 2016 and i want to register it to uk i used a category class R its say i will to provide evidence of compliance with certain EC Directive standards is any body know what is EC directive standards and how i can get it

  31. Hi, I’ve just imported a Nissan Elgrand 2009 model from Japan. Would you please guide me what form, documents and test certificate I.e. MOT I have to attache and send to DVLA ?
    What’s the current waiting time to get a new registration ?
    Also my plan is to convert this Elgrand to a camper . Do I have to re- register with dvla as a camper again ?

  32. Recently bought a 2006 plated Jap import Ford Expedition. Due to many faults I have been searching for parts. Now found out 2003 parts fit it. Sticker on door pillar agrees man date 2003 !! How is it plated as 3 years newer? I did not want a 2003..

  33. Have purchased Jap import American that is on 06 plate but built 03? How is this correct?

    • In Japan, the date assigned to the vehicle is based on when it was first registered / used, not when it was made.

  34. i have imported a car which i think will need IVA test cause is manu date is 24/11/2012 but will i need to mot the car first before the IVA please advise thank you

    • I would be tempted to wait 4 months and avoid the IVA test, but it might be hard looking at your new car and not being able to drive it. You can do the MOT before or after.

  35. Hi Andrew,
    I bought an 2006 Honda stepwagon import car from a trader and i have been insured since 2018 and this year my insurance company has asked for My IVA and Import type.
    My IVA states exempt on the Log book
    And my import type is blank.

    Can you help me with this please.

  36. Hello Andrew, I import car from japan. car will be reached to uk by next month september 2022.
    what is the full process of picking car from port to road?

  37. Hi Andrew
    i have imported recently 2014 TOYOTA NOAH 1.8 petrol Hybrid 7 seater.
    i have applied IVA passangeres cars form .Rejected due fill up incorrect .
    Advice me please
    it should be class R?
    and blue background also need fill?
    Many Thanks

    • Hi Bek

      I think you need to call the DVSA and find out why the form was rejected. It’s very hard to advise what you should do as I haven’t seen your form. This guide may help.


  38. Hello Andrew,

    I have recently imported a Nissan Elgrand and Toyota Velfire, I’m in the process of filling out the V55/5 application and it has become clear that I need the Certificate Of Conformity to be able to complete this for, I have the Export Cert which has very little information listed.
    My question is, where do I purchase these forms? Maybe you sell them?


    Paul Byrne

  39. Hi I purchased a Mazda Premacy 2010 model car from a local dealer with a 12 number VIN plate. My V5C does not show the model and emission data of my car. TFL shows it is not ULEZ certified although same model Japanese imported car with the same engine but 2012 model is ULEZ certified. Can you advise me how I can get ULEZ certification?

    • It’s usual for the V5 not to show model and emissions data. But a car of that age would usually be fine with ULEZ, so I’m not sure what’s happened there. Have you clicked through to the 2nd page on the TFL checker, after it’s told you it can’t find the details of your vehicle automatically?

  40. Hi, I import Toyota Prius plus from Japan 2016. Please can you tell me how much road tax will be for six month and how do I pay?

  41. Hi ……so a car 10 years or more you do not need a IVA. to register just an mot?…….Thanks.

  42. Hey so I’ve just stumbled on this looking for answers. Importing a car over 10 years it will get to Southampton, I’ll pay my tax and then what? If I pay to get it transported home some 4 hours away to then fit fog light for MOT test how do I then get to and from MOT centre to then apply for registration?

    • Hi Max

      Thanks for your questions. This is the type of thing I cover in my advice calls. I’d be happy to discuss all your questions in detail with you, so please follow the link and make a booking if you’d like to go ahead.


  43. importing couple cars from japan first time, should i get all done thru an agent from NOVA to clearance to MOT and delivery. OR is it something and be done all by myself, mean is it easy enough to best go thru an agent. If I do it all by myself, would i be saving lot of money in fees etc. Thanks

  44. My wife and I purchased a 2011 Prius last year, not realizing that it was registered as in the PLG tax class. It was imported from Japan. It’s passed MOT 2x with no issues. How do I go about satisfying the DVLA that this car is not in that tax class? On our V5C it actually states that it’s a hybrid, yet they don’t recognize it as an Alternative Fuel Car in the much lower tax class. It needs some sort of certificate of conformity and I’m not sure how to go about getting that. Oh and it does not have a 17 digit VIN…made in Japan in 2011…13 character VIN.

    Thanks for any help.


    • Hi Andy

      Many others have tried this and been unsuccessful. It will be cheaper to keep paying the PLG rate than it will to get it reclassified. Certificates of conformity are only for cars destined for European markets.


  45. Hi, how and from where I can get the certificate of conformity for an imported Japanese Toyota in the UK?

    • Unless things have changed since I last enquired, you won’t be able to get one. The certificate of conformity is only for cars made for European markets.

  46. Hi
    I have bought vw sharan from Japan
    Do you have any recommendations who can do iva test in midlands?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.